Thursday, December 26, 2013

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Offshore Pirate, Flappers and Philosophers

And then when I’d begun to feel that after all life was scarcely worth living I found something…. I found something! … Courage - just that; courage as a rule of life, and something to cling to always. I began to build up this enormous faith in myself. I began to see that in all my idols in the past some manifestation of courage had unconsciously been the thing that attracted me. I began separating courage from the other things of life. All sorts of courage - the beaten, bloody prize-fighter coming up for more…the liking what you like always; the utter disregard for other people’s opinions - just to live as I liked always and to die in my own way…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...